Land-based engineer: job description – TARGETjobs

Land-based engineers generate solutions to engineering problems within the fields of forestry, horticulture, agriculture, food processing and the environment.
Land-based engineers may deal with any aspect of technology and engineering to do with land, water and agriculture.
What does a land-based engineer do? Typical employers | Qualifications and training | Key skills
Land-based engineers combine their technical ability with scientific knowledge to solve problems.
Typical responsibilities of the job include:
Vacancies are advertised online, by careers services and specialist recruitment agencies, in local/national newspapers and publications including Farmers’ Weekly , Farmers Guardian , The Engineer and Engineering , plus their respective websites. There are sometimes openings for work overseas, although substantial relevant experience may be necessary and some vacancies are only temporary.
There are routes into this profession for both graduates and school leavers. Graduates will need a degree in a relevant subject such as environmental engineering, mechanical engineering, electrical engineering or electronic engineering. A list of accredited courses is available on the Engineering Council’s website. Some employers will ask for a 2.1 degree but others will accept candidates with a 2.2 degree. Take a look at our list of engineering employers that accept 2.2 degrees .
If you are aiming to work in a technician role, it is possible to enter the profession with a higher national diploma (HND) or an advanced or higher apprenticeship in an appropriate subject such as land-based engineering. To find out more about getting into engineering via a school leaver route, visit the engineering section of TARGETcareers, our website aimed at school leavers.
Practical skills and experience are equally as important as academic qualifications. Relevant experience is beneficial and can be gained via placements, vacation work and gap years. Take a look at our list of engineering employers who offer industrial placements and summer internships .
Achieving chartered (CEng) status with the Engineering Council can help to demonstrate your professionalism and commitment to your field. To become chartered, you will need an accredited bachelors degree with honours in engineering or technology, plus an appropriate masters degree (MEng) or doctorate (EngD) accredited by a professional engineering institution such as the the Institution of Agricultural Engineers (IAgrE). You will also be eligible with an integrated MSc. To find out more, take a look at our guide to chartership.
Read our article on the skills engineering employers look for for more information and then find out how you can prove you possess these competencies at engineering assessment centres .
and delivered directly to your feed.
GTI sites
Useful links
Follow us
v 0.6.10


Leave a Comment