Apply – Michigan Engineering – Michigan Engineering

The University of Michigan is open to prospective students from all walks of life — whether you’re coming straight from high school, transferring from another college, another part of U-M, or even from another country. This page is designed to help you join the nation’s number one public research university. We know the process can feel complicated, but you’ve got this. Please ask for help at any point along the way. 
Jump to:
First-year, Transfer, Already at U-M, International, U-M – SJTU
Applying early gives us time to respond to your questions and puts you in a great position for scholarships. For the 2021-22 application cycle, we are modifying our admissions process and requirements. Please visit the undergraduate admissions site for the most up-to-date information about U-M’s application changes.
If you haven’t attended any institute of higher learning post-high school, you should apply for first-year admission.
Our admissions criteria are based on the strength of your academic preparation to pursue an engineering degree. The requirements also help assure each student who is accepted has the interest and motivation to be successful.
The application review focuses on:
Each application receives a holistic, individualized review. No special class rank, grade point average, test score or other qualification by itself will assure admission. We look beyond grades and test scores to recruit the most dynamic group of students possible. 

First-year applications are reviewed by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
Read more about the selection process on the university’s undergraduate admissions site.
Due to capacity constraints in the Computer Science (CS) major, students who are admitted to the University of Michigan in Fall 2023 or later must first be selected for the CS major before they can declare the major.
Applying to U-M requires the following items:
We welcome transfer applicants from community colleges, two and four year colleges and universities. If you’ve attended a college or university after graduating from high school, you are considered a transfer student. 
Competitive applicants for transfer admission will have completed prerequisite courses at their current school. You must have at least a 3.0 GPA to be considered for admission. Non-native speakers of English must provide proof of English proficiency.
Students wishing to transfer should complete a series of prerequisite courses. A letter grade of a “C” or better is required. Pass/Fail grades are only accepted if taken in specific semesters outlined by our Pass/Fail Grading Policy (see below).
Departmental credit is not accepted for transfer admission. Using the Transfer Credit Equivalency Database, please ensure that your prerequisite coursework is directly equivalent to the U-M course, and not Departmental credit. For questions, contact
Any AP/IB exam credit must meet the U-M guidelines, regardless of whether your current institution granted you exam credit. Prerequisite coursework cannot be filled by placement exams administered at other institutions.
Due to the impact of the Covid-19 pandemic, Pass/Fail grades are accepted for transfer coursework taken from the Winter 2020 term through the Summer 2021 term.
To request an evaluation of a Math course for transfer credit equivalency, use the LSA Course Equivalency System for Mathematics. Please check the Transfer Credit Equivalency Database before submitting a request as the course may have been evaluated already.
You can use our course equivalency database to determine the transfer credit you will receive from courses taken at your current school.
The Course Guide and Bulletin outlines what you need to know about transferring to Michigan Engineering as an undergraduate, but here are a few key points:
Incoming first-year students who took one or more courses at a college or university while in high school may potentially receive transfer credit. If you’re seeking to transfer credits, please submit an official transcript from your accredited college/university. An official transcript should be mailed to:
CoE – Recruitment & Admissions
153 Chrysler Center
2121 Bonisteel Boulevard
Ann Arbor, MI 48109-2092
If the institution can send it officially electronically, it can be sent to  
Please allow 4-6 weeks for your transfer credit to be processed once U-M has received your transcript. For more information regarding engineering transfer credit policies, please see our Transfer Credit Approval Form (TCAF) Guidelines webpage.  
Dual degree: If you’re currently enrolled in another school/college on the Ann Arbor Campus and wish to pursue an additional bachelor’s degree in the College of Engineering, you’re considered a dual degree student.
Cross campus: If you’re already a University of Michigan student in another school or college and want to transfer into Michigan Engineering, you’re a cross campus student.
Combined cross campus:  If you previously transferred from another institution into the University of Michigan, and would now like to transfer into the College of Engineering, you are a combined cross campus student. You’ll need to meet the external transfer requirements.
Dearborn or Flint: If you’re transferring to U-M Ann Arbor from U-M Dearborn or U-M Flint, you are a transfer student, but be sure to take note of our academic partnership with your school.
Beginning in Winter 2024, any student who is admitted to the University of Michigan in Fall 2023 or later with an interest in computer science (CS) will additionally need to be selected for the major in order to declare CS.
Students who began their college career on the Ann Arbor campus will need to have at least a 2.5 GPA to be eligible for the dual degree program and completed the transfer course requirements. If a student started their college career at another school but is now a current student on the Ann Arbor campus, they will need to have at least a 3.0 GPA and completed the transfer course requirements. 
Please reach out to the Office of Recruitment and Admissions via and request a Multiple Dependent Degree Program (MDDP) form. We strongly suggest that applicants meet with an academic advisor in the Engineering department that they wish to major in to make sure that this is the right academic path and fit.
Cross-campus transfer students have completed college coursework on the Ann Arbor campus only and have not exceeded 55 credit hours, excluding AP/IB credit and the prerequisite courses. If you are over 55 credit hours, you will need to apply for an exception to college rules.
If you first attended another college or university after high school, transferred to U-M Ann Arbor and now wish to transfer to Michigan Engineering you may be considered a combined cross-campus applicant. Combined cross-campus applicants must meet the admission requirements of external transfer students. If you have questions about whether you may be considered a combined cross-campus applicant, please contact the Office of Recruitment and Admissions.
To be competitive for admission, cross-campus transfer students must complete the following prerequisite courses. You must have at least a 2.5 GPA to be considered for admission. Applicants are welcome to apply with courses in progress, but prerequisites must be completed by the requested term of enrollment.
We require a grade of C or better in all prerequisite courses. Pass/Fail grades are accepted for transfer coursework taken from the Winter 2020 term through the Summer 2021 term. P/F grades are not accepted for Fall 2021 or future terms. 
At least one math course must be completed on the University of Michigan-Ann Arbor campus.
If AP credit was awarded for Calculus I or Calculus I & II, completion of one additional math course is required to fully satisfy the calculus prerequisite requirement. Courses are: MATH 215, MATH 214 (for prospective IOE or CS majors), or MATH 216.
AP or IB credit may satisfy prerequisite requirements for calculus, physics and chemistry, depending on the exam and the score achieved. AP/IB Guidelines to see credit awarded for each exam. 
Please submit your application at least 4 weeks prior to the term you want to be admitted into.
After the application has been submitted to the Office of Recruitment and Admissions, it will be reviewed by one of the staff members. If an applicant is eligible, the form will be returned with one of the staff member’s signatures. Afterwards, the student will submit the signed form to the College of Engineering’s Registrar’s Office via
We welcome international applicants. You’re an international applicant if you meet one or more of the following criteria:
The University’s Undergraduate Admissions site can help you prepare your application, including details like:
The UM-SJTU Joint Institute gives select students from Shanghai Jiao Tong University  an opportunity to transfer to University of Michigan College of Engineering.
The following JI courses are necessary to satisfy our admission prerequisite requirements. You must receive a “C” or better in each course, or it will not satisfy prerequisite requirements. Courses taken on a pass/fail basis are not transferable to U-M.
Prospective Industrial Operations Engineering (IOE) majors need a linear algebra course equivalent to U-M MATH 214, which is included in the content of the honors math sequence. Students must take all three honors math courses to receive U-M MATH 214 transfer credit.
Prospective Naval Architecture Marine Engineering (NAME) majors are required to complete the following courses, prior to enrollment at U-M:
In addition, prospective Naval Architecture & Marine Engineering (NAME) majors are strongly encouraged to complete the following course, prior to enrollment at U-M:
Before you submit your application, you will need to decide which of the 14 undergraduate degree programs interest you.
Steps to apply:
You must submit your online application and have all required materials in by the deadline, or you will not receive your admissions decision on the scheduled date.
The rest of the required materials should be given to your JI-SJTU liaison, who will send all applicant materials to us:
Before you submit your application, you will need to decide which of the 14 undergraduate degree programs interest you.
©  The Regents of the University of Michigan Ann Arbor, MI 48109 USA
Privacy Policy | Non-Discrimination Policy | Campus Safety


Leave a Comment